First of folks, i am plugging my last post in here before we get on with the lobby recipe.
Let’s send is a blogger interactive thing I’ve decided to do, its where all bloggers on here can take part in sending each other Christmas cards. Don’t worry you really don’t have to be following me, if you come across this post then please take part!
Click for more info.
So for those that don’t know, i am from the UK and a place called Staffordshire, and my city is Stoke on Trent. We are known for our pottery and, our nickname is the potters. This thick cheap and easy stew like meal is one of our well known traditional meals, especially in the winter time!
It’s super easy to make and really is a left over stash buster (oh god crochet terms slipping through) And really cheap for anyone that is on a budget.
If you make a big enough batch, it should last you a few days!
This is known to be a poor mans meal, as a lot of the workers or people back in the day from the potteries couldn’t afford to buy fresh food and cook all sorts of meals every day. So they would use leftover meat and shit from a Sunday dinner and make up this awesome tasting stew.
I have kept this recipe as traditional as i can, sometimes tweaking what veg i fancy in it as well.
Normally you would have stew beef but i have been cooking it with chicken a lot more as this is my favourite meat. Now, the past year or so i have been bunging all the stuff in my slow cooker but i can assure you that you don’t need one of those to cook this! Just a big ass pot to load all the goods in, or a pot big enough for your needs.
Keep reading to find out what you need and how to make it!
- Braising steak, or whatever meat you fancy. Traditionally its braising steak
- Carrots, 2/3 depending on how big of this your cooking.
- Large onion
- Large potatoes – I actually use baby potatoes and cut them in half because i hate peeling potatoes LOLOLOL
- ***Celery – Oddly enough growing up we never had celery in our lobby, so i don’t know if this is new thing or it’s down to personal preference. Most people round ‘ere i know bung celery in – Personally i don’t use it.
- Pearl Barley, your going to need around a handful, i have shit loads because its yummy.
- Beef stock 2 cubes or you can make your own – Again i used chicken so i was lazy and used 3 chicken stock cubes.
How to cook – Slow cooker & without slow cooker
Slow cooker version
- Chop up all your veg, peel potatoes, throw it in the slow cooker.
- Add your meat
- Add your pearl barley
- Add water and stock cubes, or add your stock which ever method you do stock.
- Season black pepper, bit of salt
- Cook medium for about 6 hours, depending on your slow cookers temp though. On a low setting it will take longer, so its a good meal to do over night or in the morning before you head out to work etc.
No slow cooker
- Throw all your veg, meat and pearl barley into the pot
- Add water
- Cook/simmer for about 30 minutes – I am someone that tends to go over lol!
- Add your veg, preferably chopped LOL
- Add stock – Any liquid and this includes when in the slow cooker should be enough to cover the food, I like to go about a inch more or two higher than the food.
- Keep this on a low/simmer cook for about 2/3 hours.
- Check often and stir so it doesn’t stick to the pan
- Don’t forget to season
If you have a pressure cooker, then this is also something you can cooker with that!
This is best served with crusty bread and butter for dipping 🙂
Any questions feel free to ask! I hope you like my hometowns traditional winter warming food!
Its lush ❤
(I also filmed my first crochet tutorial today)
I hope everyones had an awesome weekend and please let me know if you try this meal! xox