It’s no secret, i have depression. I will probably continue reminding you of that just so the world understands the seriousness of mental health, which isn’t just depression by the way.
Anyway look at Pooh bear isn’t he cute?
We get depressed, we shut ourselves off into the darkness and the majority of the time we can’t control this little tick in our minds scratching away setting us off to think even deeper and darker thoughts. Everyone at some point in our lives has felt depressed – It doesn’t matter the circumstance, we’ve all felt like shit and most of us battle with trying not to everyday.
So what can you do to help take the load off? – Here are my top ten things that i do, or try to do to maintain and balance my depression. Sometimes it works, sometimes well it doesn’t that is the truth – But if you are trying, you are already a step ahead.
1. Talk to someone – Thought this list is in no particular order, i needed this to be at the top. Talking to someone is SO important i can’t even shout it enough. You need to talk about your feelings, trapping yourself into a corner isn’t the answer. Feeling the way you do IS NOT embarrassing! Reach out to a friend, family member your GP or healthcare professional. It’s hard to come to terms with, how do you just sit and tell someone whats going on? What if i am a burden? NO NO NO – TALK! Do it. You are not alone.
2. Get up, dressed, showered, style hair or if you like to wear makeup (male or female), brush your teeth, present yourself. – Washing, brushing teeth etc are all basic things we do to look after ourselves. DO THEM, but at your own pace! It can come to a point when getting out of bed is challenging so if it takes you an hour to sit up and another hour to stand and walk to the bathroom so what. The important thing is you are doing it. Take a break if you need to, whether its a ten minute break or half an hour – Treat these little things as task, reward yourself after. So i did my hair and make up today? I think i will eat that chocolate after all.
Not only that, it makes you feel good – It actually does. Doing those things makes you feel like you are apart of this world. If you aren’t planning on going out that day so what, you look good right?
3. Exercise or go out. – Let’s get the going out part out of the way first. I don’t go out often, partly because i don’t want to or i don’t actually have any friends to meet up with. BUT i do need to buy food and post letters and visit my mum. So i make myself go out – IF you are feeling upto it, get out into the fresh air. Walk in the park, take a packed lunch and sit relaxing. Take a trip to the library, perhaps you do need to pick up some groceries or the basics like milk, bread.
If you don’t feel upto it, or you physically can’t – Find some way of exercising and getting yourself moving (Again if you do have health issues, please contact your GP and discuss any form of exercising before doing any. ) Sitting doing nothing is boring yes? We sit feeling depressed, makes us well more depressed yes? Exercise is not only good for you, but it releases endorphins and all sorts of other posh words. You don’t have to jog on the spot for half an hour but maybe doing the basics will help or i like to do some basic yoga.
If you have a computer, pop on youtube for some videos, Google or use what you know.
Cleaning, ironing, etc are all things that i like to class as exercise – No seriously cleaning really can get you moving. Maybe you could plan to go out.. to that library.. borrow a computer.. print off some exercises.. go home and do them! SEE – We are getting somewhere.
4. Volunteer – If you work, your job isn’t always a place of leisure is it? Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders. If you don’t work, volunteering is a great way to get out, meet new people and build up that confidence. You don’t need to commit to full time hours – Volunteering is really flexible, one day a week for a few hours will be perfectly acceptable. Trust me, who ever you volunteer for will be thankful that you helped out! Contact churches, community centres, charity shops, schools, local community meetings and see if they need any help. Maybe a homeless shelter or food bank could use a spare set of hands. You never know, you might actually enjoy it, make friends and it gives you something to get out of bed for.
5. Start a blog or journal – I started my blog last year and i had no idea how much it became such a huge thing in my life. It helps me not only vent and get things off my chest but i get to share my hobbies, interests with other people! I also get to chat with others and see some pretty amazing talented folk. Its not scary, because you don’t have to face people and talk you are behind a screen. But do remember to be safe online. If you like to take pictures, why not share them? I have my bad days, and i do tend to move away from blogging but it doesn’t stop me from coming back. Take a break from it when you feel like it. If you don’t want to blog, then buy a notebook or journal. Write down your day to day activities, whether you only managed to get dressed or you attended a crazy party.
I like to write to God, but sometimes i write with to myself and get things off my chest that are too personal for the web. Also bullet journaling or any journaling i am working on a post about this but bujo can be so beneficial. You don’t to work or be student, if you want to create routine, lists and track your stuff then this is so perfect! Each day of the week you could set a task for yourself. For me, i have set the task of every day i will deep clean at least ONE kitchen cupboard. That’s one of my weekly goals.
6. Craft/hobbies – Do you like to paint? sew, knit, crochet, collect stamps, make cards, woodwork, make jewellery – Do those things you enjoy. It gives you something to focus on but it also relaxes the mind as you are releasing all sorts of creativity and you can channel all kinds of feelings and input them into your work. Drawing a big black dark scribble of some kind might seem silly to some but that might mean something to you. The world is your oyster. Arts and crafts are seriously the way to go! It’s not a secret that alot of these i mentioned are actually known to help with mental health like depression and anxiety. You can even use step 3 to go out, join a club or class to do these things. Expression and talking about things are all great ways to release and not bottle up.
7. Read a book – Whether its fiction or non fictions. A self help, or a page turning thriller. Reading a story, is a great place to get lost and forget. I love being deep into another world, it makes me happy and dream all sorts of nonsense. It makes you forget. You are allowing a story, to take you away and go on an unknown adventure, that is cool right? Even if you are reading about a serial killer… Not only does it help expand the brain, it’s another reason to get up pick a book off the book shelf, or go out to the library or book shop.
8. Clean – Anyone else feel kinda up lifted and fresh when you’ve hoovered, polished, bleached the hell out of the kitchen and bathroom? How much of that has an impact on your mood. ALOT! I sometimes neglect the kitchen and laundry, it makes me feel like shit. I can’t even cope when i see my coffee table all cluttered, it makes the room look dirty. If you feel bleughhhh at the dusty shelves or tv stand – Polish it. How nice and new does it look? It helps me get motivated. Once i start cleaning, can’t stop. I remember i did a huge throw out of my bedroom, before i knew it i was de-cluttering the shoe cupboard and donating a ton of handbags to charity. Not only does it give you something to do, but a clean home is a happy home. Living in mess REALLY does effect your mood, whether you want to believe that or not. Don’t fall into that routine of leaving the odd plate to do later, it builds up – Trust, i have been in that place where i didn’t clean my kitchen for a month because i was in such a bad spot, it wasn’t until i wanted to eat a pasta bake that i realised the dish had grown mould that i needed to step up my game. 80% of my mood was happier once i deep cleaned the kitchen… Just saying.
9. Relax / music / tea – Relaxing doesn’t make you lazy. I do it all the time. I have a great view once i get past the buildings in plain view, i see a sports stadium, trees, fields, mist in the distance over the hills. So i sit on my sofa, with a cup of herbal tea and just look out. I take in the beauty of the world. Obviously, not everyone is bless with views and if i turned around to the other side of my building i’d be adjacent to ugly city bleughhhh.
Relaxing though gives you time to unwind. Even after a busy day, or just a day of feeling shit. Grab a cup of your favourite whatever – I recommend trying herbal tea. Particularly Chamomile, it has no caffeine so its perfect for anyone with anxiety. Put on some music, open the windows let a bit of air in and relax. Take deep breaths and enjoy that moment. Play whatever music you want, it doesn’t have to be chimes and whale mating calls. I like to listen to 80’s music or really cheesy songs that i enjoyed as a kid. Something i can sing to or make me smile. That’s my preference though – If i am feeling emotional, Tupac or Eminem plays. Sometimes though, classical is what does it for me.
BUT The Lord Of The Rings soundtrack really hits the spot. Music does help with depression and it has been proven it helps to lift your spirits. Take advantage!
10. Watch something funny – Everyone likes to laugh, its oddly funny. Why is it when you laugh and want to stop it becomes even funnier? IDK but i like it! What makes you laugh? Comedy films or super cheesy films are to serve one purpose – To be stupidly funny, cringey, ridiculous and darn right over the top. Its a way to let loose, and just be silly for a second. Watch something funny! Who is your favourite comedian? Actor? Fav romcom? Watch as many as you like, allow yourself to laugh at the fact that he did slip on a banana. It never really happens but was it funny?
Here are some of the films and TV shows i like to watch when i am feeling a pick me up:
Parks & Rec
Only fools & horses
When Harry met Sally
My best friends wedding
Look who’s talking
Magic Mike – Don’t judge
Step brothers – Honestly i cant even, its too funny
I could list forever!
I hope this is kind of helpful. Please see your GP if you feel the need to talk and discuss other options. These are all things i believe can help, they help me and i hope they help you too! However i can’t speak for for everyone but EVERYONE does need to look at number one and take advantage of some of the help out there.
That’s all from me, it’s Wrestlemania weekend lol. I hope you all have a good one!